OpenAM Getting Started example crashes

Bradley O'Hearne
Hello,

I am trying to evaluate OpenAM as an Auth/z / Enterprise SSO solution, and I have downloaded and configured the trial example in the Getting Started guide twice, once on Windows, and once on Linux, and both fail the exact same way: configuration appears to succeed, but subsequent redirection to the Login page hangs on loading. Other than a number of cache warnings in the Tomcat catalina.out log, and HTTP status 500 errors in the Tomcat access log, there’s no real indication of what the problem is or how to resolve it. I’ve gone through reinstall several times after deleting the ~/openam and ~/.openamcfg directories several times, to no avail — same thing every time, on both machines.

I am running:

Ubuntu 16
Apache 2.4.23
Tomcat 8.5.4

Does anyone have any ideas on how to get the Getting Started example working?

Thanks,

Brad

Re: OpenAM Getting Started example crashes

Warren Strange

Are you by chance trying to install using localhost as the domain name? That will cause endless problems.

Use a fqdn. Put an entry in your /etc/hosts if required

On Mon, Aug 29, 2016 at 5:29 PM, Bradley O'Hearne <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Warren
M:    403-471-7829

Re: OpenAM Getting Started example crashes

Bradley O'Hearne
Thanks for the reply, Warren. The “Getting Started” guide has as its first step to add the following to /etc/hosts:

127.0.0.1    localhost openam.example.com www.example.com

That’s exactly what I did. Are you saying that the Getting Started guide is wrong, and that’s going to be a problem?

Brad

[...]

The guide is telling you to add those additional entries after your localhost.

When configuring OpenAM (i.e. when you bring it up in the browser), make sure you navigate to openam.example.com

Do not use localhost in the browser URL bar (or anywhere else in the config)

On Tue, Aug 30, 2016 at 12:37 PM, Bradley O'Hearne <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

M:    <a href="tel:403-471-7829" value="+14034717829" target="_blank">403-471-7829

Warren
M:    403-471-7829

Re: OpenAM Getting Started example crashes

Bradley O'Hearne
Got it….I’ve been doing exactly what you are saying (using open.example.com), so this must not be the issue. Any other ideas?

Brad

On Aug 30, 2016, at 11:39 AM, Warren Strange <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

M:    <a href="tel:403-471-7829" value="+14034717829" target="_blank" class="">403-471-7829

Warren
M:    403-471-7829

Re: OpenAM Getting Started example crashes

Robert Faller
Brad before attempting the install a couple of things to check:
  1. On Linux where OpenAM is to be installed, what does hostname and hostname -f return?
  2. Where are you hosting your environment?
  3. Try installing only tomcat on the Linux host and assure that the browser can access tomcat using the fully qualified name i.e. openam.example.com:8080 (if that is the port you are using)
  4. If all works as expected please screen capture the install wizard screens.

On Tue, Aug 30, 2016 at 11:41 AM, Bradley O'Hearne <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Robert M. Faller
425-985-4353

On Aug 30, 2016, at 11:50 AM, Robert Faller <[hidden email]> wrote:

Brad before attempting the install a couple of things to check:

OpenAM is already installed.
  1. On Linux where OpenAM is to be installed, what does hostname and hostname -f return?
brado@ubuntu:~$ hostname
ubuntu
brado@ubuntu:~$ hostname -f
ubuntu
  1. Where are you hosting your environment?
Just local machine to get OpenAM up and running and check it out. I’ve tried this both on a Windows box and in a Linux VM — same result on both.
  1. Try installing only tomcat on the Linux host and assure that the browser can access tomcat using the fully qualified name i.e. openam.example.com:8080 (if that is the port you are using)
The browser can access Apache just fine. The browser can access Tomcat just fine using open.example.com:8080. The expected screens come up just as in the Getting Started guide, to the point where OpenAM configuration completes (successfully it says). When clicking on the “Login” button, I receive a white screen with “Loading…” and it just hangs indefinitely.
  1. If all works as expected please screen capture the install wizard screens.

Screenshot attached.

Thanks for your response and help!

Brad

Re: OpenAM Getting Started example crashes

Robert Faller
hostname -f needs to return a fully qualified name and should be the name used by the client browser.

Yes, the install says complete but the environment (hostnames, IP addresses, etc) can mask the problem. Hence the need to see the install screens on a clean system.