Performance: more cores or more clock pulse?

Performance: more cores or more clock pulse?

Peter Trischberger
Hi *,

my openam (java 7, openam 13,on Linux (RHEL 6.7)) is running in 4 virtual machines building a site and having a replicated configuration store in the embeded LDAP, no userstore. A jboss is making the user store and is running on each of the machines parallel to the openam tomcat.
Now I plan to replace 2 of the virtual machines (each 4 cores) by real machines
to get more power since the estimated load will increase and
to get rid of the depandency on the virtual machine cluster /single point of failure

There are two options:
going for more cores, but lower clock pulse (some kind of energy saving CPUs with many cores), or
going for less cores, but higher clock pulse.
Both can have 32GB of memory.
Has anyone suggestions which hardware to choose?

best regards Peter

________________________________

Este mensaje y sus adjuntos se dirigen exclusivamente a su destinatario, puede contener información privilegiada o confidencial y es para uso exclusivo de la persona o entidad de destino. Si no es usted. el destinatario indicado, queda notificado de que la lectura, utilización, divulgación y/o copia sin autorización puede estar prohibida en virtud de la legislación vigente. Si ha recibido este mensaje por error, le rogamos que nos lo comunique inmediatamente por esta misma vía y proceda a su destrucción.

The information contained in this transmission is privileged and confidential information intended only for the use of the individual or entity named above. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received this transmission in error, do not read it. Please immediately reply to the sender that you have received this communication in error and then delete it.

Esta mensagem e seus anexos se dirigem exclusivamente ao seu destinatário, pode conter informação privilegiada ou confidencial e é para uso exclusivo da pessoa ou entidade de destino. Se não é vossa senhoria o destinatário indicado, fica notificado de que a leitura, utilização, divulgação e/ou cópia sem autorização pode estar proibida em virtude da legislação vigente. Se recebeu esta mensagem por erro, rogamos-lhe que nos o comunique imediatamente por esta mesma via e proceda a sua destruição

Re: Performance: more cores or more clock pulse?

Bernhard Thalmayr
Hi Peter, my 2 cents ...

the past showed that many cores (when using Sun CMT systems with Sun
Ultra SPARC T2/T2 plus) could reveal threading issues (even Tomcat was
subject to this), hence clockrate may be preferred over number of cores.
Furthermore the the popular XML libaries had many 'single thread' parts
which could not leverage CMT systems. Those could only be speed up by
clockrate.

-Bernhard

Am 27/06/16 um 20:53 schrieb Peter Trischberger:

> Hi *,
>
> my openam (java 7, openam 13,on Linux (RHEL 6.7)) is running in 4 virtual machines building a site and having a replicated configuration store in the embeded LDAP, no userstore. A jboss is making the user store and is running on each of the machines parallel to the openam tomcat.
> Now I plan to replace 2 of the virtual machines (each 4 cores) by real machines
> to get more power since the estimated load will increase and
> to get rid of the depandency on the virtual machine cluster /single point of failure
>
> There are two options:
> going for more cores, but lower clock pulse (some kind of energy saving CPUs with many cores), or
> going for less cores, but higher clock pulse.
> Both can have 32GB of memory.
> Has anyone suggestions which hardware to choose?
>
> best regards Peter

> Este mensaje y sus adjuntos se dirigen exclusivamente a su destinatario, puede contener información privilegiada o confidencial y es para uso exclusivo de la persona o entidad de destino. Si no es usted. el destinatario indicado, queda notificado de que la lectura, utilización, divulgación y/o copia sin autorización puede estar prohibida en virtud de la legislación vigente. Si ha recibido este mensaje por error, le rogamos que nos lo comunique inmediatamente por esta misma vía y proceda a su destrucción.
>
> The information contained in this transmission is privileged and confidential information intended only for the use of the individual or entity named above. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received this transmission in error, do not read it. Please immediately reply to the sender that you have received this communication in error and then delete it.
>
> Esta mensagem e seus anexos se dirigem exclusivamente ao seu destinatário, pode conter informação privilegiada ou confidencial e é para uso exclusivo da pessoa ou entidade de destino. Se não é vossa senhoria o destinatário indicado, fica notificado de que a leitura, utilização, divulgação e/ou cópia sem autorização pode estar proibida em virtude da legislação vigente. Se recebeu esta mensagem por erro, rogamos-lhe que nos o comunique imediatamente por esta mesma via e proceda a sua destruição

Re: Performance: more cores or more clock pulse?

Joe Fletcher-2
There is a cross-over point whereby fewer threads executed faster meets a greater number of slower threads. Fair to say that with the older CMT hardware (eg T2/T3) the single thread performance coupled with contention issues means that most other machines offered a greater effective throughput. The latest iterations of the SUN's CMT kit such as the T5s have largely rectified that but you pay a considerable premium for the privilege. Given the cost vs core count and relatively high performance of even moderate x86 based hardware there are few reasons to go for anything else. The big CMT stuff has its uses but OpenAM probably isn't one of them.

[...]

This email with all information contained herein or attached hereto may contain confidential and/or privileged information intended for the addressee(s) only. If you have received this email in error, please contact the sender and immediately delete this email in its entirety and any attachments thereto.