Policy problems after upgrade from 12.0.2 to 13.0.0

Policy problems after upgrade from 12.0.2 to 13.0.0

Alberto Treviño

I upgraded my local installation of OpenAM from 12.0.2 to 13.0.0 and my policies no longer work. I am also unable to edit them or create new ones.

My first question is: should policies be automatically migrated during the upgrade, or should I delete all policies before upgrading and restore them after the upgrade?

In trying to figure out why I can't edit policies, I debugged the Javascript side of XUI and the error reported is:

Uncaught TypeError: Cannot read property 'patterns' of undefined EditPolicView.js line 164

Looking into that problem, the undefined object is ResourceType. Looking at the application and policy objects, the migrated policy contains a UUID to the URL resource type. The iPlanetAMWebAgentService application, however, does not contain any resourceTypeUuids (the attribute doesn't even exist). So I went to edit the application to add a resource type but I got a message telling me to remove all policies before modifying the application (or Policy Set as it is known now). This also breaks the creation of new policies in the application because you can't select the Resource Type.

My second question: should the migration process have modified the application (Policy Set) and added the URL Resource Type? The log shows the following, suggesting that the modification of the iPlanetAMWebAgentService application failed:

Entitlement Resource Type Report

New entitlement resource types

  Realm: /

    test1ResourceType

    null

    test2ResourceType

Modified applications

  Realm: /

    test1

    test2

Modified policies

  Realm: /

I can think of two reasons of why the upgrade may have failed. First reason is that my application had been modified and had an additional condition type. Perhaps the migration tool didn't know what to do with the modified application?

The second reason is that I also had multiple applications in OpenAM 12 for testing purposes. When these were migrated, the migration process created new Resource Types for them and added them to the other applications.

Any help will be appreciated.

--

Alberto Treviño

Re: Policy problems after upgrade from 12.0.2 to 13.0.0

Peter Major
I'd say reach out to support with a reproducible test case. This sounds
like a bug to me.

On Monday, March 14, 2016 7:39:39 AM MDT Peter Major wrote:
> I'd say reach out to support with a reproducible test case. This sounds
> like a bug to me.

I suspected it might be a bug. I shall find the cause and report it.

Thanks.

--
Alberto Treviño
WAM Team, ICS