SocketException No connection could be made because the target machine actively refused it

SocketException No connection could be made because the target machine actively refused it

fran1011
We are currently trying to run web performance tests on an environment where there are 2 openAm servers which are load balanced, plus 2 reverse proxy servers which are load balanced also.

We are finding that after reaching approx 80 concurrent users each user request after that is getting refused with the error message "SocketException No connection could be made because the target machine actively refused it"

I am wondering if anyone has come across this before or knows if there is any configuration in OpenAm that could potentially be wrongly configured preventing the connections?

Re: SocketException No connection could be made because the target machine actively refused it

Christian Viola
Hi Francis,

Not sure but this sounds like you have either:
- Not enough file handles (ulimit)
- The proxy or tomcat does not allow more concurrent connection
- tomcat is configured using BIO which blocks a connection
- ...

There are many more things that could be causing your problem but that most likely not connected to OpenAM.

Please checks if your file limits are set properly, the kernel is tuned, your reverse proxy is either nginx or haproxy - apache is kinda cool using ajp but still slow - and tomcat uses either the NIO, NIO2 or APR as connectors.

Best
/Chris

IAM | Zalando SE

On 21 October 2016 at 00:05, fran1011 <[hidden email]> wrote:
We are currently trying to run web performance tests on an environment where
there are 2 openAm servers which are load balanced, plus 2 reverse proxy
servers which are load balanced also.

We are finding that after reaching approx 80 concurrent users each user
request after that is getting refused with the error message
"SocketException No connection could be made because the target machine
actively refused it"

I am wondering if anyone has come across this before or knows if there is
any configuration in OpenAm that could potentially be wrongly configured
preventing the connections?

Re: SocketException No connection could be made because the target machine actively refused it

Hedrick, Brooke - 43
Do you know if it is the Load Balancer, Reverse Proxy, or OpenAM that is refusing the connection?

Brooke Hedrick
AVP Web Administration
Rain and Hail, IT Division
Office: 515.559.1322
Cell: 515.314.8953
[hidden email]

For more information about the Agriculture Insurance from Rain and Hail visit www.RainHail.com.

Rain and Hail
A Chubb Company

We are currently trying to run web performance tests on an environment where there are 2 openAm servers which are load balanced, plus 2 reverse proxy servers which are load balanced also.

We are finding that after reaching approx 80 concurrent users each user request after that is getting refused with the error message "SocketException No connection could be made because the target machine actively refused it"

I am wondering if anyone has come across this before or knows if there is any configuration in OpenAm that could potentially be wrongly configured preventing the connections?

Re: SocketException No connection could be made because the target machine actively refused it

fran1011
Hi,

We are still trying to identify that but the problem is that we are a 3rd party trying to support OpenAm for a customer where another 3rd party maintains the load balancers / Servers. So far from what we can see the error message gives the only publically visible IP: the virtual IP of the Reverse Proxy's Load Balancer but we don’t have proof that that is what is refusing the connection.

Kind regards,

Francis.

Francis Byrne
Software & Solutions Developer,
Business & Applications Services

Fujitsu
Timber Quay, Strand Road, Derry, BT48 7NR, Northern Ireland
Tel: +44 (0) 843 365 8799 or Internally 7445 8799
Mob: +44 (0) 7867 832 516 or Internally 73 832 516
Email: [hidden email]
Web: http://uk.fujitsu.com

Fujitsu is proud to partner with Action for Children
I-CIO: Global Intelligence for the CIO. Fujitsu’s online resource for ICT leaders
Sponsors of the 2015 Rugby World Cup
 Please consider the environment - do you really need to print this email?

We are currently trying to run web performance tests on an environment where there are 2 openAm servers which are load balanced, plus 2 reverse proxy servers which are load balanced also.

We are finding that after reaching approx 80 concurrent users each user request after that is getting refused with the error message "SocketException No connection could be made because the target machine actively refused it"

I am wondering if anyone has come across this before or knows if there is any configuration in OpenAm that could potentially be wrongly configured preventing the connections?

Unless otherwise stated, this email has been sent from Fujitsu Services Limited (registered in England No 96056); Fujitsu EMEA PLC (registered in England No 2216100) both with registered offices at: 22 Baker Street, London W1U 3BW;  PFU (EMEA) Limited, (registered in England No 1578652) and Fujitsu Laboratories of Europe Limited (registered in England No. 4153469) both with registered offices at: Hayes Park Central, Hayes End Road, Hayes, Middlesex, UB4 8FE.
This email is only for the use of its intended recipient. Its contents are subject to a duty of confidence and may be privileged. Fujitsu does not guarantee that this email has not been intercepted and amended or that it is virus-free.

Re: SocketException No connection could be made because the target machine actively refused it

Hedrick, Brooke - 43
That's certainly a tough spot to be in.  That's where we would need to start to track the issue down.  I sure hate to have you looking for an issue with OpenAM if the LoadBalancers or the reverse proxies are the culprit.

It sounds like you don't have access to the LB, Proxy, or OpenAM logs then either...

Brooke Hedrick

Re: SocketException No connection could be made because the target machine actively refused it

It a HW loadbalancer is used it's very unlikely that the LB refuses the
connection.

Also it would be interesting which error you really get.

Connection refused would actually mean the 'TCP SYN' failed, but this is
not really realistic as it would mean the server side socket has gone.

Furthermore you should be able to tell which URL was trying to be
reached when the error happens ..

-Bernhard