Triggers when creating/deleting users

John Brodie
Hi all,

I’m currently evaluating OpenAM to see if it has the features we need for a project.  OpenAM will act as
the database of record for our user info.  As such, various applications will be creating, updating, and deleting
users via the REST API.  I’ve gotten a proof of concept working for this fairly easily (thanks to the docs team!).

However, we also need the ability for the following:

App A registers a new user with OpenAM via the API
OpenAM notifies App B of a new user

or

App B deletes a user with OpenAM via the API
OpenAM notifies App A and App C

Does this mechanism exist?  OpenAM is a huge project and I haven’t been able to figure this part out yet.  Whether
the “notification” is in the form of a web hook, an AMQP event, or some other form isn’t so important at this phase.

Thanks,
John Brodie

Re: Triggers when creating/deleting users

Bernhard Thalmayr
I would say you look at the wrong product. OpenAM is not an identity
management / provisioning product.

OpenAM only consumes identity information form user data stores, it is
not 'database of record for our user info'.

By default OpenAM consumes the identity information from the embedded
OpenDJ Directory Server configured as user data store.

This is quite a difference.

-Bernhard

Am 09/02/16 um 23:24 schrieb John Brodie:

> Hi all,
>
> I’m currently evaluating OpenAM to see if it has the features we need for a project.  OpenAM will act as
> the database of record for our user info.  As such, various applications will be creating, updating, and deleting
> users via the REST API.  I’ve gotten a proof of concept working for this fairly easily (thanks to the docs team!).
>
> However, we also need the ability for the following:
>
> App A registers a new user with OpenAM via the API
> OpenAM notifies App B of a new user
>
> or
>
> App B deletes a user with OpenAM via the API
> OpenAM notifies App A and App C
>
> Does this mechanism exist?  OpenAM is a huge project and I haven’t been able to figure this part out yet.  Whether
> the “notification” is in the form of a web hook, an AMQP event, or some other form isn’t so important at this phase.
>
> Thanks,
> John Brodie

Re: Triggers when creating/deleting users

Victor Ake
Hi John,
I agree with Bernhard. Most probably you should look into OpenIDM
instead, and there is a forum and mailing list for it as well:

https://forgerock.org/forum/fr-projects/openidm/

    Victor

On 10/02/16 00:52, Bernhard Thalmayr wrote:

> I would say you look at the wrong product. OpenAM is not an identity
> management / provisioning product.
>
> OpenAM only consumes identity information form user data stores, it is
> not 'database of record for our user info'.
>
> By default OpenAM consumes the identity information from the embedded
> OpenDJ Directory Server configured as user data store.
>
> This is quite a difference.
>
> -Bernhard
>
> Am 09/02/16 um 23:24 schrieb John Brodie:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I’m currently evaluating OpenAM to see if it has the features we need for a project.  OpenAM will act as
>> the database of record for our user info.  As such, various applications will be creating, updating, and deleting
>> users via the REST API.  I’ve gotten a proof of concept working for this fairly easily (thanks to the docs team!).
>>
>> However, we also need the ability for the following:
>>
>> App A registers a new user with OpenAM via the API
>> OpenAM notifies App B of a new user
>>
>> or
>>
>> App B deletes a user with OpenAM via the API
>> OpenAM notifies App A and App C
>>
>> Does this mechanism exist?  OpenAM is a huge project and I haven’t been able to figure this part out yet.  Whether
>> the “notification” is in the form of a web hook, an AMQP event, or some other form isn’t so important at this phase.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> John Brodie

Victor Ake
VP Customer Innovation & Co-Founder | ForgeRock
t +34 607 584450 | @ [hidden email]
skype vicake | web www.forgerock.com